What’s up guys!
In this post I’m going to be going in depth about what exactly this subscription is, how I found out about it, how much it is, and whether or not I think it’s worth it.
So let’s get right into it!
* * * * * *
How I Found Out About It:
I actually found out about this subscription box by reading a fellow blogger’s post all about it. The blog I read it off of was by Stella Hudgens, a lot of people know her better as Vanessa Hudgens little sister although she’s SO much more than that (I’ll leave her blog linked here if you wanted to check it out, which you definitely should!). She’s such a great writer/blogger and one day while I was going through her blog, reading her posts, I came across the one about the subscription. It was kind of similar to how I’m writing about it now, but her’s wasn’t so much a review as it was like a praise for it because she’s actually really good friends with one of the creators of the subscription.
Anyway, after reading her post about the box I decided to do my own research on it, so I checked them out on social media, checked their website, etc. and I was interested in it so that’s how I ended up trying it out.
* * * * * *
What it is & How Much It Is:
I believe the creators of the box are Shenae Grimes and Jessica Stroup (former stars of the popular show 90210). I know for a fact Shenae Grimes is one of them because Stella mentioned that in her post, but not 100% sure about Jessica Stroup being the right Jessica lol (although I’m pretty sure it is).
Nonetheless, these ladies created this box because their signature styles tend to lean more towards wearing all black, animal prints, a lot of leather, and a lot of studs, leading most people to assume they’re either goth or punk. They are NEITHER of those things!! Ultimately, they put this box subscription together for those people in the world that have been misconstrued for that as well. They just like to feel badass, and dressing the way they do and having the styles that they do makes them feel that way with confidence and all. So with each box they throw together about 6-7 items that are a mixture of fashion, beauty and lifestyle goods to help other people feel that way as well and bring their inner badass out.
The box itself is (BRACE YOURSELVES) …….$75, for the quarterly subscription. And the annual subscription would be $285.00. The boxes ship 4 times a year: May, August, November, and January. Now, don’t get me wrong, I know it’s definitely a hefty price for a subscription box when there are most definitely others out there like Boxycharm and Ipsy that do and carry similar things for a MUCH cheaper price, but before I give my input on whether or not I think it’s worth it, let’s go into the products I received in this month’s box…
- The first thing I got in the box was this candle from the brand “Evil Queen,” and it’s called “Let’s Makeout.” When I first smelled it, I thought it smelled really weird, but the more I kept smelling it the more the scent grew on me and I actually like it now. The packaging says that it’s reminiscent of the best selling Bath and Body Works Mahogany Teakwood (which is an AMAZING scent if you haven’t checked it out), this one has all of the best fine wood fragrances, with a delicate touch of lavender and geranium. If I were to have gone out and bought this on my own, it would be $20.
2. The next thing I got in the box was this 3oz canister of Toffee from the brand B. Toffee. I’ve never heard of this brand, nor have I ever had or tried toffee, but I thought this was cute and kind of cool. This product was not mentioned on the subscription website or the pamphlet of descriptions and prices so I’m not sure if it was a free little extra or what, but I looked them up on my own and saw that this retails for $6.95.
3. The next thing I got was this Pore Perfection Face Mask from the brand Veise beauty. This was interesting when I first saw it because I’ve never used or really seen many masks that are powders and you have to mix things together to actually make the mask. So that was a little weird, but it says that it’s supposed to give you glowing skin, shrink your pores, and calm any redness. You’re supposed to mix 1/2 tsp of the powder with 1 tsp of water in a non-metal bowl to make the mask. Then apply a thin layer to clean, dry face and let it dry for 10-15 minutes, making sure to avoid the eye area. Purchasing this on its own would be $24.
4. The next thing I got was this Fashion Power Bank – Electronic Charging Block from the brand iDeal of Sweden. When I saw this I was legit like HOLY FUCK! I thought it was so freakin’ dope to get a portable charger in a box like this, and it’s good too. It’s not like cheap quality or anything, plus the design on it I think is REALLY cool. I need to use it for one whole time to see how quickly it charges my phone and how long exactly it lasts, but I’m super excited for this product. This alone would cost $54.99 if I bought it separately.
5. The next thing in the box was this Freematic Master Eyeshadow Palette from the brand Doucce. I’ve NEVER heard of that makeup brand before, so I can’t really speak on them. But just from first impressions of packaging, shade range, etc., it looks really pretty. Based off of packaging, I would give them a 4-5. For $65, I wouldn’t expect to see just a plain all black packaging that also feels kind of cheap. The colors are pretty, but I don’t really see being able to create too many looks with it. The palette is a combination of mattes and shimmers, but from what I saw, their all the same colors just in a matte and shimmer form. So that was a little odd to me. I only tried swatching ONE of the shades, which I believe was the third shade in the top row (it’s a shimmer) because I thought it was a pretty gray-ish purple, but just from one swipe, there wasn’t really much product that showed up on my finger. I only tried it for that one shade and that one time, so let’s see. Hopefully I’m wrong and it ends up being a good palette, especially since it’s the most expensive thing in the entire box. If I bought it on my own, separately, it would’ve been $65.
6. The next thing I got was definitely one of my favorites in the box. It was a pair of Luxe 2 Cat Eye Sunglasses from the brand Perverse. I LOVE sunglasses, so when I saw these I was SO excited, especially for the color and shape of them. They are SO cute and I cannot wait to rock these throughout the summer! Alone these would have cost $55.
7. The next and last thing I got was this pair of REALLY cute lightning bolt earrings, which I think was either another extra or they just didn’t mention it on the description card or on their website. I was really surprised when I saw these because it says that they are 18K Gold Vermeil, and they’re from the brand Kris Nations. Since it wasn’t mentioned on the subscription website, I looked around online for them and saw that they retail for $38.
* * * * * * * *
Do I Think It’s Worth It?:
I do definitely think for a subscription box it’s a bit pricey. BUT considering everything that it comes with, and how much you would be paying for those products individually as opposed to in a bundle like this? I think it’s an insane steal. For this month’s box, with all of the products, if I were to have gone out and purchased them individually, it would’ve come out to $263.94. Plus, they only bill you once every three months, so personally, I don’t think it’s terrible. Now obviously if it was $75 EVERY month being charged for the box, that would be excessive, and I don’t think I would think it’s fully worth it. Also, I think it’s really cool/convenient that if you don’t have the money after the 3 months, or you just choose to not want the box, you could always just skip that billing/shipping month. It’s convenient because if you like the subscription as a whole, but maybe don’t want to or can’t do it for that month, you’ll just skip it instead of cancelling the subscription altogether.
*Halfway through writing this, I realized that either I got 2 extra products in my box for free, or they just did not add these 2 products to the website for this month’s box because the Toffee and Earrings were not mentioned on the site at all with the descriptions of this month’s products 😮 ….yay freebies!! 😀 haha*
Overall, yes I agree that compared to typical subscription boxes that are similar to this like Boxycharm or Ipsy, it is A LOT pricier which could instantly turn people off to it, but I do think that considering everything you’ll get in it (5-7 FULL-SIZED PRODUCTS), it’s worth it. But to each his own, make your own judgment about it. This was my first box with them, and I really did like it. But who knows what’ll happen in the future and whether or not my pockets will allow me to continue getting it haha. I do think it’s worth it to try the box AT LEAST once though.
-Xoxo, Leo Girl ❤